This article applies to you if you you try to turn off your device, and it turns back ON after a few seconds. Palm has discovered that a Birthday reminder in a Contacts record that spans past the new year (Jan 1st) will trigger the issue. The issue is currently being investigated by Palm. Please check the Palm suport website for updates.
This issue occurs with the following devices: Tungsten T3, T5*, E; Zire 72, 31; Treo 650*.
For example: Let's say you create a Contact record for Dabney Coleman, which includes his name, phone number, address and email address. You also include his birthday: January 3. When asked, you choose a reminder to appear 7 days before his birthday. Since this reminder is triggered before January 1, and the birthday is after January 1, your handheld may encounter the problem of not turning off.
What should I do?
When possible, set the reminder to go off in the same calendar year as the birthday (i.e. on or after January 1). In the example above, changing the reminder to 2 days will prevent the issue.
To change the Birthday reminder:
- Open the Contacts application and open on the record with the birthday.
- Select Edit.
- Scroll down to the Birthday field and tap on the birth date.
- Change the reminder. In the example above, change the number of days to 2.
Alternatively, you can follow the steps above, but instead of shortening the reminder time, simply uncheck the Reminder box to not be reminded at all.
Tip: Scroll through the month of January in your Calendar to look for all possible Birthday reminders that could cause this problem next year.
What if I really need to be reminded of a birthday?
You can create a separate event in the Calendar which is not linked to a Contact. When you do this, you won't have the power issue.
- Launch the Calendar application on your handheld.
- Navigate to the date of the birthday, and select New. If asked, select Appointment.
- When asked, give this event a time of No Time.
- Back on the calendar screen, enter the person's name or other details to remember about their yearly birthday.
- At the bottom of the screen, select Details.
- Check the box for Alarm, and enter as many days as you wish for the reminder. Using this method, the reminder can occur before January 1. This method will not cause the power issue.
- From the Repeat pick list, select Every Year.
- When finished, select OK.
* Treo 650 and Tungsten T5 Note: Although you may be tempted to do so, do not delete Birthday reminders in the Calendar. This will delete the entire Contact record (name, phone number, address, etc.). Instead, use one of the methods above to resolve the issue. In addition to the power-on issue, we are also investigating why the entire Contact is deleted when the Birthday reminder is deleted. Please check the Palm support website for updates.