Important: Do not connect the sync cable to your desktop PC until you have installed the software from the Windows Mobile Getting Started Disc (below).
What you need to use your smartphone
As you work through this setup guide, you need all the items that came in the Treo 700w/wx smartphone box as well as the additional items listed below.
In the box
- Treo 700w/wx smartphone
- Rechargeable battery
- AC charger
- USB sync cable
- Documentation and software:
- Read This First poster
- Quick Reference Guide
- Using Your Palm Treo 700w/wx Smartphone
- Windows Mobile Getting Started Disc that includes the following:
- Microsoft Outlook 2002
- ActiveSync (desktop synchronization software)
- Additional software for your smartphone
- Welcome CD that includes the Palm Treo 700w/wx Smartphone Interactive User Guide
- Palm warranty
Other things you need
- An activated mobile account with data services
- A location with wireless coverage for your smartphone
- An electrical outlet
- The desktop PC you want to synchronize your personal information with
- Note: To use email, web browsing, or multimedia messaging, your mobile service plan must include data services.
Diagram of your Treo 700w/wx smartphone
Charge the battery
- On the back of your smartphone, press the Battery Door Release button and slide the battery door downward to remove it.
- Align the metal contacts on the battery with the phone contacts.
- Insert the battery into the compartment at a 45 degree angle, and then press it into place.
- Slide the battery door onto the back of the smartphone until it clicks into place.
- When the Welcome screen appears, slide the stylus out of the slot. Hold the stylus as you would a pen, and follow the onscreen instructions to set up your smartphone.
Note: If the Welcome screen doesn't appear, it means your battery is fully drained.
- Align touchscreen
- Set time zone
- Set time
- Complete: Start the Quick Tour or skip it.
- Plug the AC charger into a wall outlet.
- Connect the charger cable to the bottom of the Treo. Make sure the arrow on the connector is facing up, towards your Treo screen.
- Wait for the indicator light to turn solid green. This may take up to four hours.
Important: Do not connect the sync cable to your desktop PC yet. Leave it disconnected for now.
Make your first phone call
Make a phone call to ensure that your smartphone connects to the wireless network, and that your mobile service account works with your new smartphone.
- If the screen is off, press Power/End to wake up the screen. You may also need to press Center to turn off Keyguard.
- Press and hold Power/End to turn on Wireless mode. You'll see a Welcome screen and hear a series of ascending tones.
- Press Phone/Send to get to the Today screen.
- If necessary, activate your smartphone:
- Sprint PCS: Your smartphone should be activated out of the box. If it's not, contact Sprint.
- Verizon Wireless: Using the number keys on the keyboard, dial *228, then press Phone/Send to dial. Follow the voice prompts. When you hear "Programming Successful," press Power/End to hang up.
- Now you can make a test call to yourself or someone you know. From the Today screen, start dialing a 10-digit phone number. Use the number keys on the keyboard.
- Press Phone/Send to dial. The call progress will appear on the screen.
- When you're done with the call, press Power/End to hang up.
- You may be asked if you wish to "Add Contact." Press the Left action key (Dismiss).
- Are you in an area of wireless coverage? Check the number of bars you see at the top right of the phone screen.
- Are you fully charged? If not, connect and charge.
- Is your mobile service account assigned to this Treo 700w/wx smartphone and in good standing? Contact your service provider for more info.
- Is your phone activated? Contact your service provider for more info.
Install the software from the Treo 700w/wx CD
Important: Do not connect the sync cable to your desktop PC until instructed to do so below.
- On your desktop computer, close any programs currently running.
- Insert the Windows Mobile Getting Started CD into your desktop computer's CD drive.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install the software, including ActiveSync. Note: If you have a previous version of ActiveSync on your desktop computer, you still need to install ActiveSync from the CD.
- When you see the "Get Connected" screen, you can safely connect your smartphone's sync cable to your desktop PC.
Note: Your smartphone includes a cable, not a cradle
- Here's how to properly connect the power and sync cables:
- Continue following the ActiveSync setup instructions on your desktop PC screen. You will be prompted to set up a sync relationship between your Treo 700w/wx smartphone and your desktop PC. Some important points:
- Synchronize directly with a server? If your organization uses an Exchange Server 2003 or later, select this option to sync your corporate email and Calendar directly with the server (either wirelessly, or when your sync cable is connected). Get the Server Address and other info from your IT department; the server address is usually the same as your Outlook Web Access (OWA) address, such as owa.mycompany.com.
- Synchronization Options > Files: Check this box to add a folder to your Windows desktop into which you can drop files (Word, Excel, photos, etc.) to transfer to your smartphone and keep synchronized.
Upgrading from a previous device?
Once you've followed the instructions above, you can migrate your data from your previous device to your Treo 700w/wx smartphone. The method you use depends on your previous device:
If you're starting from a clean slate (never owned a previous device), ignore this section.
- Start with a tour. If you haven't done it already, launch the Quick Tour on your smartphone.
- Press Start .
- Select Programs.
- Select Quick Tour.
- Follow the onscreen links and instructions to get acquainted with your new smartphone.
- Explore the User Guide. This guide has everything: all the steps, all the details, all the tips. On your desktop PC, go to the Windows Start menu, select Palm, then select the User Guide.