| Performing a hard reset
Performing a hard reset returns the device hardware to a "factory state" similar to the state the device was originally in out of the box. A hard reset erases all personal information, such as appointments, contacts, and tasks, as well as programs you have added, such as third-party software on your smartphone. To avoid unwanted data loss, it is highly recommended to back up the data on the device before a hard reset. Never do a hard reset without trying a soft reset first.
Use ActiveSync to restore your Outlook data, such as Outlook email, Calendar, Contacts, Notes, and Tasks. If you use a backup and restore solution, make sure it's an application that's approved by Palm, such as Sprite Backup (the one included on your smartphone).
Some third-party applications do not create a backup on your computer when you synchronize. If you perform a hard reset, you may lose info in these applications. In this case you will then need to reinstall the application on your smartphone after the hard reset. Please contact the application vendor to find out if your info is backed up during synchronization.
NOTE: When you synchronize after a hard reset, the source folder in My Documents changes from Treo My Documents to WM_your name.
- If possible, synchronize your smartphone with your computer so that your smartphone applications and info can be restored by synchronizing again after you perform the hard reset.
- Remove the back panel from your smartphone.
- Slide the stylus out from its slot.
- If the screen is off, press Power to wake up the screen.
- While pressing and holding End, use the tip of the stylus to gently press and release the reset button.
- Continue pressing and holding End until the "Erase all data?" prompt appears.
- Press Up to confirm the hard reset.
- Wait for the progress bar on the Treo logo screen to fill before continuing to use your smartphone.
- Slide the back panel into place.
- (Optional) Synchronize to restore your previously synchronized info. If you use a backup utility, you may also need to restore a backup to recover additional info and settings.